Colorado Takes 9 Awards at Annual Competition
Every year, thousands of cheeses compete in the annual awards competition sponsored by the American Cheese Society. We call them the “Cheese Oscars.” This year, 260 companies entered 1,843 cheeses and cultured dairy products in 108 categories.
The judging takes place over two days at the American Cheese Society Conference (see our video highlights of the event here). Expert judges travel from around the country and cheeses are judged on technical and aesthetic qualities.
We go early every year to the ACS Conference so we can volunteer at the judging. We help prepare cheeses for the judges, wrap cheeses, deliver cheeses to the judges, you name it. It’s an incredibly valuable experience for us because we are right there in the thick of it as the best cheeses in the country are being decided. (It’s where we source new cheeses to bring into the case.)
This year, Colorado took nine ribbons. That’s a big increase from the two they took last year. In other words, Colorado is making some really good cheese! They include:
- First Place Soft-Ripened Cheese Made from Cow’s Milk: MouCou Ashley
- First Place Blue-Veined with a Rind or External Coating Made from Goat’s Milk: Avalanche Cheese Co Midnight Blue
- Second Place Camembert Made from Cow’s Milk: MouCou Camembert
- Second Place Feta Made from Goat’s Milk: Haystack Feta
- Second Place Smoked Cheeses: Haystack Applewood Smoked Chevre
- Second Place: Goat’s Milk Cheese Aged Over 60 Days: Haystack Queso de Mano
- Third Place Fresh Rindless Goat’s Milk Cheese Aged 0 to 30 Days: Avalanche Cheese Co Fresh Chevre
- Third Place Cheddar Wrapped in Cloth: Avalanche Cheese Co Hand Bandaged Goat Cheddar
- Third Place Washed Rind Cheeses Aged More than 60 Days – Goat’s Milk: Haystack Sunlight