T.S. Elliot said “April is the cruelest month.” Maybe if you are an American-born, British author. But if you ask us, April is the best month of the year, because April is essentially a month all about cheese.
What makes April a cheese month? For us, it means that dairy farms are starting to have kids and lambs and calves, which means we are out of the doldrums of cheese where very few dairy animals are producing milk.
This means (1) we have an endless supply of adorable baby farm animal pictures for our Instagram feed, but (2) cheesemakers are back in the business of making cheese. (Didn’t know cheese is seasonal? Read more.)
But then powers greater than us agree and have named several cheese days in April.
- April 11: National Cheese Fondue Day
- April 12: National Grilled Cheese Day
- April 16: Raw Milk Cheese Appreciation Day
In this newsletter, we’ve got recipes so you can to join in the celebration plus details on the big day we have planned for Raw Milk Cheese Appreciation Day in the store.
April 16: Raw Milk Cheese Tasting Bar
As former dairy farmers and cheesemakers, we’re passionate about raw milk cheese. So we’re happy to be the only Colorado member of the Oldways Cheese Coalition and to be hosting one of a handful of flagship events to celebrate Raw Milk Cheese Appreciation Day on April 16.
What does that mean? We’ll have a Raw Milk Cheese tasting bar featuring some of our favorite American raw milk cheeses and the classic European raw milk cheese (and one of our favorites), Comte. And all Raw Milk Cheeses are 10% off on April 16!
Recipes: Fondue + Grilled Cheese
- How to make foolproof fondue from @52eats.
- Edgy fondue for blue cheese lovers
- The art of the grilled cheese (and 20 variations)
- Because it’s Colorado (and we’re all about beer), Grilled Beer (and Cheese) Sandwich
- Winner of this year’s the Grilled Cheese Academy Award
- How Your Favorite Chefs Make Grilled Cheese
Mark Your Calendars
We’ve got some fun upcoming events you are going to want to put on your calendar.
- April 3: In-Store Tasting with Hacienda Maize (including homemade cornmeal cookies with jalapeno jam)
- April 7: Beer vs. Wine Smackdown (4 Seats Left!)
- April 16: Raw Milk Cheese Appreciation Day – Free Tasting Bar!
- May 7: Bubbles + Cheese (Celebrate Mom!)
- June 19: Beer, Charcuterie + Cheese (Dad’s Turn!)
- July 26: Spirits + Cheese with Devil’s Head Distillery and Cheese for Dummies Author Laurel Miller
Monthly Cheese Club
Each order comes with detailed information on the farm/cheesemakers, tasting notes and pairing suggestions.
Subscriptions are available for 3, 6, 9 and 12 months. Learn more here.
In honor of Raw Milk Cheese Appreciation Day, this month’s selections include three of our favorite raw milk cheeses in the case now:
- Dirty Girl from Prodigal Farm, a goat “washed curd” (i.e, Gouda) with a natural rind.
- Cowtipper from Calkins Creamery, a porter-washed and soaked Gouda.
- Fiore Sardo from Italy, a raw sheep’s milk manchego style.